Sunday, March 7, 2010

Pet peeve: translating "suki", "daisuki" and "aishiteru"

I have a pet peeve.

For the Japanese term, “suki”(好き), “daisuki”(大好き) and “aishiteru” (愛してる) (basically means, like, really like you and I love you), all of these are usually translated as “I love you” in the scanlation world. Ok, fine. In the official English translations as well. I DETEST this translation.

Yes, I know. In the English-speaking world, “like” is a more platonic feeling than “love”, but there is still a difference between these two meanings. Many a times a plot had been ruined due to translating all three terms the same because “suki” was translated as “love” so when the oh-so-coveted moment where the boyfriend finally says “Aishiteru”, the significance is diluted A LOT due to “suki” being translated as “love” in the first place.

Due to this, I refuse to ever translate “suki” as “love” and stick to as what it’s supposed to mean – “like”. “Daisuki” stumps me a bit though. “I REALLY like you” doesn’t sound all that natural. “I adore you” also sounds weird in certain context but I still think that’s the best to go. You never know when you can ruin a plot by translating things wrong.

(Best example: In Card Captor, Kero-chan was kept with the same pronunciation in English ie. Keroberos. What the translators DIDN’T do is read through the entire series before translating. If they had done that, they would had realised that Keroberos is the Japanese pronunciation for Cerberus – which is pretty damn siginificant, later on in the plot. And they had no excuse to not check since the series was only licensed AFTER it finished in Japan)

[Via http://mikirei.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment